Monday, February 22, 2010

Feminist Spoken Word

When I was in New Zealand, I was able to see spoken word poet and activist Sonya Renee perform. Since then, I can't get enough of this art-form and how it can convey so many emotions. I've selected a few feminist-focused pieces by different artists, including the two that got me hooked.

Sonya Renee

"Still Life"


This video was the first poem I heard from her. It is about relationship violence, specifically her cousin who was killed by her partner.

"What Women Deserve"

This is such a powerful poem. She discusses the need for reproductive choice.

"Liking Me"

This poem is about the connection between loving yourself and having safe sex.

Staceyann Chin

"Feminist or Womanist"

This poem is about the constraints of labels and the existence of many identities. She also touches on the treatment of women when they speak out after being sexually assaulted.

Mark Gonzales

"As With Most Men"

In this poem, he speaks about misogyny in American culture and questions if we would react the same way to the "War on Terror" if it was gendered rather than racialized.

I definitely recommend looking into all three of these artists as well as others.

No comments:

Post a Comment